Turn gingerbread into Christmas trees with this kid-friendly recipe.
The ingredient of Chocolate gingerbread trees
- 80g butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Gold sugar sprinkles, to decorate
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
The instruction how to make Chocolate gingerbread trees
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease 2 large baking trays. Line trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add golden syrup. Beat to combine. Sift over cinnamon, ginger, cocoa and flour. Stir until a soft dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using the 9cm star-shaped cutter, cut 6 stars from dough. Repeat process using the 7.5cm, 5cm, 4cm and 2.5cm star-shaped cutters, re-rolling and cutting dough trimmings. Place stars, 3cm apart, on prepared trays. Bake, 1 tray at a time, for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Working with 1 star at a time, and leaving the smallest stars plain, brush hot stars with cold water and sprinkle with gold sugar sprinkles. Stand on trays to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg white in a small bowl until foamy. Add icing sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until smooth and combined.
- Place 9cm stars on a sheet of baking paper. Spoon a little of the icing in the centre of each star. Using the picture as a guide, top each star with a 7.5cm star, rotating the star so the points sit at a different angle to the star below. Repeat layering with more icing and remaining stars (except for the smallest stars) to resemble 6 Christmas trees. Spoon a little icing on the top of each Christmas tree. Top each tree with a small star, standing upright. Stand Christmas trees for 30 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with more gold sprinkles. Serve.
Nutritions of Chocolate gingerbread treescalories: 448.125 calories
calories: 11.3 grams fat
calories: 7.2 grams saturated fat
calories: 81.7 grams carbohydrates
calories: 4.9 grams protein
calories: 18 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 140 milligrams sodium