Make your own chocolate lamingtons from scratch with this traditional Australian recipe.
The ingredient of Basic chocolate lamingtons
- 6 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) cornflour
- 20g butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 cups (160g) desiccated coconut
- 4 cups (640g) icing sugar mixture
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 20g butter
- 1 cup (250ml) hot water
The instruction how to make Basic chocolate lamingtons
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan with baking paper. Use an electric mixer on high speed to whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl for 10 mins or until mixture is thick and creamy and sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, sift the combined flour and cornflour into a bowl. Repeat 2 more times.
- Sift the flour mixture over the egg mixture and use a metal spoon or balloon whisk to gently fold until just combined. Add the butter and boiling water and gently fold until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in the pan for 5 mins before turning onto a wire rack. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate icing, combine the icing sugar, cocoa powder, butter and water in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth and runny.
- Place the coconut in a large bowl. Use a large serrated knife to cut the cake into 12 squares. Using 2 forks, dip 1 cake square into the icing and gently turn to coat. Lift and let the excess icing drip off. Transfer to the coconut and gently turn to coat. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining cake, icing and coconut. Set aside for 30 mins to set.
Nutritions of Basic chocolate lamingtonscalories: 427.093 calories
calories: 14 grams fat
calories: 10 grams saturated fat
calories: 70 grams carbohydrates
calories: 53 grams sugar
calories: 6 grams protein
calories: 114 milligrams sodium