Zesty lemon filling is sandwiched between the crunchy chocolate macaroon shells.
The ingredient of Chocolate and lemon macaroons
- 360g icing sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 40g Dutch cocoa
- 5 egg whites, from 59g eggs, at room temperature
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 250g mascarpone
The instruction how to make Chocolate and lemon macaroons
- Sift 300g icing sugar, almonds and cocoa through a fine sieve, pushing mixture through with a wooden spoon; this will help to make a smooth macaroon.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and whisk to soft peaks. Add caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and whisk until dissolved. Stir in almond mixture; the mixture will be quite stiff.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm nozzle. Pipe or spoon mixture into 3cm rounds onto baking paper-lined oven trays. Using a wet finger, smooth out peaks, then set aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 150u00cbu0161C. Bake 2 trays of macaroons at a time, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and cool on trays. Slide a knife under each macaroon to release from paper. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or until ready to assemble.
- For filling, whisk remaining icing sugar, zest, juice and mascarpone to the consistency of double cream. Sandwich macaroons with filling. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour for filling to firm. Macaroons will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Nutritions of Chocolate and lemon macaroonscalories: