Earthy beetroot adds a moist indulgence and pop of colour to this gorgeous chocolate cake.
The ingredient of Beetroot and chocolate cake
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup cooled pureed beetroot (see notes)
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (250ml) thickened cream, whipped
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 medium beetroot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup (150g) icing sugar mixture
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 10g softened butter
- 11/2 tablespoons milk
The instruction how to make Beetroot and chocolate cake
- Preheat oven 180C. Grease a 20cm baba or bundt pan.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the beetroot, flour, cocoa powder and buttermilk, in 2 batches, and stir to combine. Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 40-45 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 mins to cool before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the candied beetroot, combine the sugar and water in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until sugar dissolves. Add the beetroot. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook, turning occasionally, for 20 mins or until beetroot is slightly translucent and syrup thickens. Transfer the beetroot to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Add the lemon juice to the pan and stir to combine.
- To make the chocolate drizzle, combine the icing sugar, cocoa powder, butter and milk in a small bowl. Stir until well combined. Drizzle over the cooled cake immediately.
- Top the cake with whipped cream and candied beetroot slices and drizzle with the syrup.
Nutritions of Beetroot and chocolate cakecalories: