This black forest-inspired cake can be made ahead for easy entertaining. Simply bake the meringue discs, layer with buttercream and cherries, and chill overnight.
The ingredient of Cherry chocolate meringue torte
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 150g (1 3/4 cups) desiccated coconut
- 30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 300g red glace cherries, washed, drained, finely chopped
- Maraschino cherries, to decorate
- Toasted coconut flakes, to decorate
- 375g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 380g (2 1/2 cups) icing sugar mixture
- 60ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 180g dark chocolate, chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) pouring cream
The instruction how to make Cherry chocolate meringue torte
- Preheat oven to 120C/100C fan forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Draw two 18cm circles on each. Turn paper over.
- Use electric beaters to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, 1 tbs at a time, until the sugar dissolves. Use a large metal spoon to gently fold in the coconut, sifted cocoa and cream of tartar.
- Divide mixture among circles on prepared trays. Spread evenly. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until firm and dry to touch, rotating trays halfway through cooking. Turn oven off and allow meringues to cool in oven with the door ajar for 1 1/2 hours or until cooled completely.
- For buttercream, use electric beaters to beat the butter in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until combined. Gradually beat in milk and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Spread 1 meringue disc with one-quarter buttercream. Sprinkle with one-third of the glaceu0301 cherries. Repeat to make 2 more layers of meringue, buttercream and cherries. Top with the remaining meringue disc. Evenly trim the sides of the meringue, if necessary. Spread the remaining buttercream over top and side of cake. Place in the fridge overnight to chill.
- For the chocolate glaze, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring the cream almost to the boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour over the chocolate. Set aside for 30 seconds, then stir until melted and combined.
- Transfer the cake to a cake stand or serving plate. Pour over the chocolate glaze and use a palette knife to evenly spread the glaze, allowing it to drip down the side of the cake. Tap the plate gently to smooth the glaze. Allow to set. Decorate the cake with maraschino cherries and toasted coconut flakes.
Nutritions of Cherry chocolate meringue tortecalories: